Thursday, December 16, 2010

nine days till christmas

My day off work turned out to be pretty excellent. I had lunch with my friend Erica at Kabuki, enjoyed some delicious Miso soup along with an eel and asparagus roll. The owner even brought out some of her homemade banana bread. I finished chapter fifteen in "Re:framing Repentance" while drinking a trappist ale, and then Dylan and Tyler came over, and we went out for dinner at Outback Steakhouse. Sushi doesn't fill you up, so I was quite hungry, and I dug into a full rack of ribs with a 22 ounce Samuel Adams Winter Lager. It was amazing. When we got back to the house, we watch a documentary on death, had some Great Lakes (I enjoyed a Dortmunder Gold; Tyler had an Edmund Fitzgerald), and played Wii. Lots of snow came overnight, coating us with a couple inches. Thus work went by pretty slow, and it was good just to hang out with my great co-workers while not being in rush/panic mode. 

J.J. asked how things were coming along with my book on repentance, and I told him I had two chapters left but no energy to write them. And this is true. I'm worn out, visited only by the occasional burst of energy, which never lasts long. The document rests on my hard-drive, 300+ pages long, and only two chapters (plus the prologue and epilogue) to go. There's no way I'll finish it before Christmas. Perhaps it will be my "finish by the end of the month" project for January? I've been throwing together a little bible study for 1 Peter, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying to write it for the person who isn't well-versed in Christian thought, so I'm trying to be as simple and as forward as I can be. It's difficult, to say the least. I'm much better at writing research papers. Sometimes I wonder if this is all just a waste of my time, my writing. If it goes nowhere, then I've spent countless hours doing absolutely nothing to any avail. What a waste. Maybe this "midlife crisis" of sorts is what's keeping the energy from coursing through my veins. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...