Saturday, December 04, 2010

old order German baptists

This evening we celebrated my grandma's birthday at the farmhouse of an old-order German baptist couple. They served delicious food but weak coffee. I've always been fascinated by "denominations" such as old-order German baptists. Amish are the most interesting, but German baptists come in a close second. These folk were quite nice, and the husband found it amazing that I enjoyed sushi. I envy the simplicity of these people, a simplicity which doesn't come naturally but which must be fought for, wrestled with, and implemented with both desire and dedication. An interesting observance: depression rates are the lowest in communities of the Amish, and the reason for this (psychologist's speculate) is that they are unencumbered by all those useless "necessities" which most westerners enjoy. Their simplicity and style of living, coupled with their active lifestyle, is a natural antidote to depression. Not to say that there aren't depressed Amish people, just that some of the biggest factors leading to depression are eradicated by their strict living. I need to simplify my life. Maybe that would bring some calm and clarity. 

1 comment:

Blake said...

Amanda was telling me about that place. It sounds amazing. I also enjoy the simplicity. We can learn a lot from them.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...