Monday, December 20, 2010

the dayton days [46]

I can't seem to stay away from this place!
Monday. Dylan & Tyler came over after work, and we ran to I.G.A. for groceries and made an amazing dinner: porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms, polished off with Great Lakes Christmas Ale. We played Mario-Kart, watched "Dexter," and then they went home. I spent the evening chatting with Erica. We almost went to get drinks, but since it was late and the roads were getting icy, we decided against it.

Tuesday. Becky & Joel got married Saturday, and so did Kristen Southard (now... who the hell knows). She was the "heartbreak girl" of my younger years. I've heard every guy has one. Out of nostalgia I went and caught up on the married lives of both Julie and Courtney. Yeah, that made me feel pretty awesome. Disappointment as struck so many times that cynicism has become the very air I breathe. I keep praying, I keep hoping, but nothing changes, so I'll keep waiting. Today's fortune cookie from China Cottage told me to do just that: All things come to him who waits. Tomorrow I'm getting lunch with Erica. Sushi, of course. She's not interested in dating, and she wouldn't consider dating me: she doesn't date blondes.

Wednesday. Erica & I met up at Kabuki around noon. We shared lots of laughs. She's cute and nerdy. I grabbed tons of beer from DLM--a Great Lakes & Trappist collection--and spent the day writing. Dylan, Tyler & I got dinner at Outback Steakhouse: 22 ounce winter ale plus ribs. Back at the house we watched a documentary on death, had a few more beers, and hit up the cornerstone Mario-Kart.

Thursday. More snow fell last night; it's going to be a LONG winter. We have two new hires at work: Jordan (Betsy's brother; also our ex-partner Forrest's brother), and Leah. She's a pretty cute girl. It's awkward because we came across each other on OKCupid. She seems to like me, though, so the tension isn't too great. Destini commented on how she's taken towards me. It snowed 3-4" during work. Shortest. Autumn. Ever. Erica declined meeting again. It's been quite the year of failed romantic interests: Sarah, Maggie, Faith, Clare, even Jacquelyn and Erica, if you want. Hopefully 2011 will fare better.

Friday. Grandpa M. rolled in from Florida and admired my Celica. We grabbed dinner with the family at Lone Star (I had a steak and a potato) and then we went to Sam's Club to get my Christmas gift: a netbook! I'm pretty excited. I'm also excited about Cincinnati tomorrow: Dylan's going with me, and we're gonna do our thing with Mandy, see Jessie, and hit up Rock Bottom!

Saturday. I worked 6-2:30 with an excellent crew: J.J., Joanne, Carly, Kyle, & Destini. Dylan met me at my house around 3:00 and we headed down to the Claypole House. Jessie got me an awesome earthen journal for Christmas. Mandy, Dylan, Gambill, Blake & I crowded the upstairs and felt magical. Blake, Amos, Dylan, Blayne & I went down to Fountain Square, and because Rock Bottom was swamped we grabbed dinner at Nicholson's Irish Pub just down the street. We ended the evening playing 007 on the Wii, and Dylan & I got back into town around 2 AM.

Sunday. No church this morning, too tired from last night's festivities. Dewenter came over, and we grabbed Applebee's for lunch and spent the afternoon doing Christmas shopping. He went to his grandpa's and I watched a documentary on North Korea before calling it a night. Oh: Sarah lost her job, the bar's shutting down.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...