Wednesday, December 22, 2010

of the mist

A heavy mist rolled in overnight and hung over all the Dayton area into late afternoon. When I say heavy, I mean heavy (pretty much like the picture to the left). Ever since reading Stephen King's short story "The Mist", I've been fascinated by the fog. I always imagine strange creatures lurking about, and in my mind I spin together tales of romance and horror, stories of intricate cobwebs with inter-tangling sub-plots. There's something about the way the mist envelops houses and parking lots and trees, and how you can only see a few hundred yards ahead. I don't know. I really can't put it into words, at least not right now.

I finished all my Christmas shopping this afternoon, thank God. I spent way too much (per usual), but I think everyone will be happy with their gifts, and that's what counts (I also did a little Christmas shopping for myself, and I know I like those gifts). Mom and I met up at Bob Evans for lunch (omelette and coffee, nothing better), and I've spent the afternoon wrapping presents, watching television, and enjoying some good beer. Tomorrow I work a full shift, half a shift Friday, and then we're going to New Carlisle to celebrate Christmas with Dad's side of the family. Saturday we're doing our family Christmas (or perhaps Friday night?), and then we're going down to Kentucky for the festivities with Mom's side of the family. After that there's nothing to look forward to 'cept New Year's, and after that... Well, a long and cold winter, with the promise of spring stretched far, far beyond. 


In honor of this being the week of Christmas, I'll be celebrating by tossing excerpts from "Dwellers of the Night" onto here. How is this celebrating? I began writing the on Christmas 2007; and the scenes I'll be posting take place on the days preceding Christmas and on Christmas itself (set next year, in 2011). I've been considering trying to get "Dwellers of the Night" commercially published; any feedback on these upcoming scenes would be great. In order to set the tone, I'll explain really quick what has happened up to this point in the story: 1. a disease comes and obliterates most of the human race, except for a few lucky (or unlucky) folk; 2. those who died are resurrected, zombies or vampires or whatever; 3. the survivors are seeking to carve out a living amidst this new world; 4. the two main character--Mark & "The Man"--come across a little girl who's been bitten; 5. they have taken her into their care, and Mark is growing more and more attached to her (much to the man's dismay). These scenes consist of pages 180-182 in the rough draft. That's all for now. The first scene will be published tomorrow!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...