Monday, December 13, 2010

snow storm!

The first snow storm of winter came through yesterday. When I woke up, a meager amount of snow had fallen, but nothing to worry about. I was able to enjoy my Sunday tradition of Subway while watching TV ("Dexter" this time), and by the time I went to work, it started snowing again. It snowed all during my 3-11:00 shift, and seeing as the ice trucks didn't begin making their rounds till about 10:00, the roads got pretty awful. Needless to say, we weren't too busy at work. Half of us went home early, and two of us stayed behind to be able to close the store when that time came. We finished all the tasking, and I just hung around behind the bar. We had a handful of customers throughout the night, mostly regulars whom I was able to talk to thanks to the lack of work needing to be done. We even did a Verona coffee tasting with some of our customers. My PDP helped on that one. The roads on the home stretch were pretty awful, and I slipped and slid every which way. But I made it home okay--albeit the journey taking me twice as long as usual--and was able to enjoy some hot tea before bed.

Today I worked an easy 10-4:00, and then Dylan and Tyler came over. We ran to the grocery for some food, and then we had an amazing dinner: sauteed mushrooms, pan-seared steaks, and baked red potatoes. Not to mention some good ol' Great Lakes Christmas Ale. The evening afterwards passed as usual: Mario-Kart and television. This time we watched the season two finale of "Dexter". It's nice to be able to stay up somewhat late, because I don't have to go in till 2:00 tomorrow. 2-10:30. What a wretched shift! At least I'll be working with great people (though in all honesty, I like everyone I work with, so that's a guarantee every shift). I have Wednesday off, which will be filled with sushi and hopefully finishing the next chapter in "Re:framing Repentance." I work Thursday-Saturday morning and hope to go down to Cincinnati Saturday evening to see a bunch of friends. And then there's the Christmas shopping followed by the Christmas chaos, driving all over southern Ohio and northern Kentucky visiting segments of our disjointed family. At least it will be soon be over, and then we'll spend months locked in whining snow and blistering winds before spring arrives. Ah, spring... I'm already longing for her.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...