Thursday, February 17, 2011

30 Days (VI)

A Picture of Someone You'd
Trade Places With for a Day


If I could trade places with anyone for a day, it'd be author Cormac McCarthy. This would be entirely utilitarian in nature. The way he writes, the way he describes, the way he pens dialogue, essentially his entire style is something that makes me drool. If I could spend a day in his shoes, perhaps I could see how he perceives the world, how he forms sentences in his mind, how he can put up with using a typewriter, how he just does what he does. There are few writers whom I read, and there are far fewer writers whom I envy, and McCarthy (along with Hemingway) is at the top of the list. And for those of you who don't know, he's the author of "The Road", "All The Pretty Horses", and "No Country For Old Men" (all of which have been made into movies). Some of his longer (and, in my opinion, better) books include "Suttree" (which I'm reading now) and "Blood Meridian" (probably the most intense, widely-scoped, and detailed story I've ever read). If you haven't read him, then stop being a douche and pick up one of his books. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...