Friday, May 21, 2010

gearing up for the weekend

I have been reading a lot of N.T. Wright lately. Well, "re:reading." I read "Paul in Fresh Perspective" my sophomore year of college, and I read his "Surprised by Hope" during my 2008 internship in Minnesota. N.T. Wright is definitely worth a read. His writings on Christian eschatology, as well as placing "Christianity" in its proper Jewish context, does wonders for theological understanding. My own perception of Christianity is being distorted and bent and reshaped, and I'm a fan of it. Some long-held questions are being answered (while others are being raised), and many dormant thoughts and speculations are rising to the surface to find their place amidst the gridlocks of the Judeo-Christian narrative. Here is a quote of N.T. Wright from "Paul in Fresh Perspective":

Jesus believed himself to be bringing to its great climax, its great denouement, the long story of YHWH and Israel, which was the focal point of the long story of the creator and the world... he believed himself to be embodying both the vocation of faithful Israel and the return of YHWH to Zion, drawing on to himself not only the destiny of God's true Servant but, if we can put it like this, the destiny of God himself.

I've spent the day (post-work) finishing up getting ready for tomorrow. I am going down to Kentucky in the morning. My cousin and his wife, Ashley, are having their wedding reception tomorrow evening (they were married two weeks ago in Cancun) and I am going to be the "D.J." It's in quotes because I am not spinning discs or anything, just making the announcements in my cool and collective voice and playing the right songs at the right times. Someone had to do it. Late Saturday night my sister and I are hooking up with some friends in Cincinnati to grab a few drinks. I'll head home afterward, sleep in, and then it's back to the grindstone on Sunday. My friend Jobst will be in town Monday evening, so we may get dinner or something if he can work it in. Now it's 11:00, and I'm tired, and I'm going to go to bed... After reading some more of Wright, of course.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...