Monday, May 03, 2010

monthly weigh-in #5

Weigh-in this month was 149. Last month's weigh-in was recorded as being at 154, but that's not true. It came to my attention that I was weighing myself wrong. Really, common sense should have told me I was doing it wrong, but I've always been more conceptual than pragmatic, and it turns out that I was weighing myself anywhere from four to two pounds lighter than I really was. Re:weighing myself last month (after the last post), I was at 157. All of the weigh-ins I've recorded on here prior to last month were skewed as well. Oh well. If I were to weigh myself this month as I did last month, I'd be at 145 pounds (which is my first goal). But I'd rather be realistic and not self-deceptive, so weigh-in this month is at 149, a whopping eight pounds lost over the past month.

I've been eating pretty well. The same old story: lean meats, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and eggs. Lots and lots of eggs. I talked to my doctor and he recommended up to ten eggs a week but no more than twelve. There's a lot of hype around eggs being bad, he said, but it's pretty unsubstantiated. It's kind of the same thing with coffee: "Is it good? Is it bad?" No one really knows, and "scientific opinion" changes like the tides. All I know is that I've been eating close to forty eggs a month, and I haven't had any problems (after this post I will make two eggs for brunch, and I'm pretty damn excited about it). I've also been working out. I haven't done as much cardio lately, thanks to my legs being sore all the time. I have this thing where my legs really hurt, it feels like there are bubbles running through my veins. Doctor says it's nothing to worry about, but it hurts like hell, and walking even becomes difficult at times. I remember in the Lehman House sitting naked by the stove massaging my leg and whimpering. Ha. But I HAVE been working out my arms and chest, and people are noticing big improvements. My mom told me I'm getting too skinny (though I disagree), and she recommended I bulk up, and I'm focusing on that now.

As I continue to lose weight, the visible improvements are more dramatic. For instance, in the beginning, there was a month when I lost fifteen pounds. But you couldn't really tell. Now I lose two pounds, and people say, "Have you lost weight?" I think it's just proportionate to body fat or something, I don't know. But I can look in the mirror and not be repulsed, and that's always a good thing. By June 1st I hope to be AT LEAST at 145 (which makes me no longer overweight), but my REAL goal is to be at 142. My biggest leap is 135, which is fourteen pounds away (it's the lightest I've ever weighed, even though I looked semi-anorexic; once I hit that, the weight-loss straining is done).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...