Tuesday, November 23, 2010

12 Dogs of Christmas

This week's Christmas Ale is from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company: the 12 Dogs of Christmas. It's not as good as the Great Lakes Christmas Ale, but it's close. This ale is laden with all sorts of spices: cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg--basically the only spices we have at the cafe that I never use--and is tinted with a mild honey flavor. It's pretty malty, but apparently Thirsty Dog is known for malted barleys. This would be the perfect beer for Christmas dinner, or sitting by the fireplace reading a good book. All in all, a high quality beer. I'll probably by another six-pack for Thanksgiving dinner this weekend. If I'm lucky, my family will only steal five from the packaging.

This week looks like it's going to be a rough one. I work 8 1/2 hour shifts for the next three days, and amidst all of that, I'm juggling family Thanksgiving events. Thanksgiving dinner with Dad's side of the family is at noon this Thursday, but since I work till 2:00, and because it's an hour-drive from here, I won't get there till about 3:00, just in time to pick off a few leftovers, of which there will probably hardly be any, but that's totally fine. It's better for my health if I'm not sitting around the table for an hour and a half with giant plates heaping with country home-cooked food being passed around. Friday evening Mom's family is coming into town, and I'm working that night (Black Fridays, I hear, are nightmares at work). I have the weekend off (because I asked for it off), and on Saturday we're having our Thanksgiving dinner, and on Sunday we'll just be spending time with the family. Daily humdrum life will resume come Monday, and then in a few weeks, the Christmas madness will begin. I enjoy seeing family all throughout the season, but sometimes all of the events, activities, and Christmas shopping can be overwhelming. I'll be glad once January 1st rolls around. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...