Sunday, October 17, 2010

re:framing repentance, part III

"Prepare to be depressed." Chapter Ten is all about the consequences of repentance, events which can be experienced for those who repent and for those who don't repent. I started off the chapter looking at the temporal and eschatological consequences for those who repent. Whenever I write or think or teach about such things, it is exciting and very hope-filled. I am happier, more outgoing, more energetic. Now that I've finished looking at those things, I am now turning my attention upon the consequences--temporal and eschatological--for those who do not repent. Whenever I write/think/teach about such things, the intensified feeling of being alive found in looking at the Christian hope becomes a dark depression of sorts. It's very gloom and doom, and there's no way around that. Even though I am more "liberal" than some when it comes to the subject--not to the point of being a universalist, mind you, nor even, perhaps, an inclusivist--I take very seriously what the scriptures teach regarding the consequences of not turning to God. It's very sad and hopeless, and it depresses me. I don't like to think about such things, but it is my responsibility as a Christian, and as the writer of this book on repentance, to tackle these things head-on and lay them out on the table. I'm not looking forward to it, and I hope to have it done by the end of the week. Then I can move on to "fresher" territory.

Other goals for this week? Finish N.T. Wright's "Climax of the Covenant" and be at 135 pounds by Friday (which will be exactly one year since I started losing weight). Amanda is in town, albeit currently sleeping. Dylan and Tyler are coming over this afternoon. I had Chipotle for breakfast--very good, as always--while watching "Law & Order: S.V.U." I even went to work for a bit and had four shots of espresso over ice. The perfect start to my day off work. Now I'm going to do some reading, maybe some writing, clean the house a bit. It's a beautiful Sunday, it's my day off work, and I want to sap it for all it's worth. Tomorrow my week begins again with a 6-2:30 shift.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...