Sunday, October 24, 2010

waffle house sunrise

Late last night I finished the rough draft of Chapter Ten in my book on repentance. It's by far the longest chapter yet, clocking in at 42 pages. I wanted to go deeper but knew to do so would be to risk losing the reader amidst the haze of the subject. I have one (maybe two) more chapters to finish before reaching the third and final section of the book, which is all about the practice of repentance in light of (a) eschatology and (b) identity. I'm doing lots and lots of studying for this section, as there are still some ambiguities I wish to clear up. It's nice to have Chapter Ten done, and the next chapter--"The Choice of Repentance"--could be a doozy, too. Not only do I have to tackle the Calvinism/Arminian question--not because I think the issue is a big deal (I don't) but because many of my supposed readers will probably find themselves on either side of the fence and may be upset if I don't at least give a head nod to the debate--but I also need to make the point that no one repents because they love God. It sounds heretical, of course, which is why I need to do a good job of making that point (though it shouldn't be hard, because I've already established the key points throughout the book which just need to be drawn together to make a statement on the subject).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...