Sunday, October 31, 2010

the dayton days [40]

@ Fountain Square
Monday. Lunch: spring rolls from DLM. Dylan & Tyler came over. We played Wii and Tyler ordered pizza. Dylan burnt himself something awful on melted plastic.

Tuesday. I dreamt about Courtney last night and woke depressed. It passed with coffee and a cigarette. Massive storms came through. The tornado sirens went off, so I went to work for chai tea. The storms rolled through quickly. It was a monsoon, so much rain and flooding. I may have pink-eye, so I called Jessica to see if I should still work. She said I could, so I am: I need the money. My call woke her up, and she sounded cute on the phone. Too bad we'd both be fired if we dated. She's a cute, fun, sassy girl. But it's all just wishful thinking.

Wednesday. My eye irritated the hell out of me all through work. I was supposed to teach Dad's small group but my pink-eye was giving me hell, so I declined. Jessica's got a sore throat, 10x worse than it was yesterday; when I went in this morning, she was in the back crying. Luckily Wade came to her rescue. Tonight she texted me: "I'm awake and if you give me pink-eye, I'll die."

Thursday. These eye-droplets really do wonders. Mom made pancakes for dinner: she always does them well, I always fuck them up.

Friday. I worked 6:30-3:00 and then jetted straight down to Cincinnati for my FIVE DAY VACATION! I was supposed to be in Wisconsin visiting Mandy K., but she's got a boyfriend now so that got wiped out. Cincinnati shall suffice. I hung out with Tony & Amos at the Claypole House, then went to The Anchor for eggs and toast with coffee. Rob, Mandy & I went to Kroger and The Party Source; I got some good Trappist beer for tomorrow's one-day-early Halloween party. Ams showed up, and we went over to her place, and Dylan joined us for a sleepover. Sarah got home from work dressed up as a cat.

Saturday. Dylan & I picked up Jobst at 11:30 and met up with Blake & Ams on Fountain Square for lunch at Rock Bottom Brewery. I got nachos and a beer. We walked around Fountain Square and Jobst got picked up by a friend. The rest of us went to the Halloween store on Glenway for costumes. Dylan went back to Dayton and I took a three hour nap and then headed from Ams' apartment to the party at the Claypole House. So many great people: Blake, Amos, Coop & Laura, Nate & Kirby, Ulrich & Blayne, Josh & Esther, Joel & Joel (one Mikaela's brother, the other Amos' brother), Andy Waugh, tons of other people. Even Gambill & Faikham showed up, and that was great. I had my three Trappist beers, got pretty drunk. We sat around the fire out back and by 2:30 I was sober and after talking with Sarah on the porch for a while I went back to Ams' and crashed.

Halloween. I woke early and went by Mount Echo, stood looking at the city and praying for a bit. My prayers in that place used to be so heart-wrenching. Sarah, Ams & I went to The Anchor and it was hipster central. Sarah & I went to Refuge and Andy hooked us up. We parted ways and I went back by the Claypole House, and we had spaghetti before House Church. It was pretty great, on the kingship of Jesus. Gambill came over later and Mandy wanted to smoke pot but I didn't feel like it.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...