Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Westmalle Tripel: a good discovery

The other night I tried a Westmalle Abbey Trappist Tripel beer. I don't drink a lot of beer, and when I do, I like the darker stuff. This beer, let me tell you... I definitely found a winner. When I opened it, the foam overflowed the top. So I poured it into a goblet to drink. It had the scent of fruit and that nice scent of hops. It had a very "golden" yet bitter taste, which I loved. Once the foam subsided, the drink became overwhelmed with the taste of caramel. I enjoyed every minute of it, and I felt pretty good about myself when I learned that it was made by monks--or at least under the supervision of monks--in a Trappist monastery (the Westmalle abbey, to be precise). I did some research and found out that any beer labeled Trappist has the same origins, albeit often at different monasteries: there's the Achel abbey, the Chimay abbey, the Orval abbey, the Rochefort abbey, and the Westvletern abbey in addition to Westmalle. D.L.M. has most of these, and I'm sure I could find the others at specialty beer shoppes in the area. Tonight I'm going to be drinking a Westmalle dubbel with dinner (grilled chicken and potatoes). 

I have tomorrow off, which means I'll have time to knock out the remaining section(s) in my latest chapter on repentance. As a previous post implied, I'm not looking forward to writing all of this. It's very depressing. I went to a cafe the other afternoon and sat down and hammered out the script and a wave of depression came over me. Thinking about it still brings bursts of depression, especially when I know people who fall into the category of "being lost", and Mom has noticed this: "You don't seem like yourself." Once I finish the chapter, I'll probably drink a beer to celebrate, and things will get better.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...