Monday, August 23, 2010

miscellania

Amanda came into town last night and this afternoon we went down to Lexington to pick up the Prizm. There's a leak in the fuel lines and no mechanics will touch it because the undercarriage is so rusted they're afraid they'll just cause more damage. I talked to a fellow named Cotton, a reputable mechanic who is a good friend of my extended family down there, and he said I should be okay as long as I don't fill the gas tank more than half full and avoid hitting large bumps or potholes that will just intensify the damage. It's only a temporary "solution", to say the least, and I'm in the market for a new car. How I'll afford it, God only knows.

I found out that the folks at F.C.C. where I interviewed over a month ago still haven't made the decision between the other candidate and me. Apparently the congregation is divided on whom they want. And I figured they just hired the other fellow and were too scared to let me know. Ha. My stance towards the whole thing remains the same: I want the gig, for more than financial reasons, but if the congregation ends up voting for the other fellow, I won't lose any sleep.

My ambitions for the week are twofold: finish N.T. Wright's "Evil & The Justice of God," finish a chapter in my book "Re:Framing Repentance", and lose two more pounds, putting me at 142, my original goal when I started losing weight in October. So far I've lost 56 pounds. My ultimate goal is my freshman weight, 135#, but everyone says that I was too skinny back then. Ams said I should stop losing weight and just maintain. But I'm not content with that. I set a goal, and when I make a goal, I work towards it for as long as it takes and I wade through multiple failures and I make it.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...