Monday, August 02, 2010

the dayton days: 27

Jessie & Me at Cox Arboretum
Monday. I worked 7:30-4:00 after a rough night of sleep: the AC is broken, but we're getting it fixed tonight. All night I was accosted by dreams of a beautiful woman I'll never be with. Mandy K. is still at the forefront of my mind so often, I'm not really sure why; it's been, what, a year since we "talked," and even longer since we talked (no quotations). This morning Tanner was dragging around a stuffed animal, an Orca I bought for Courtney on my Alaskan Cruise in 2007. Ironic. During work Jess Lynn came by to see me: "You're so tiny!" Betsy was being really nice to me, and I had her laughing by the end of the shift. Carly's car was broken into, and she was sobbing. My car got a flat, probably from all the construction on Washington Church. Aunt Teri & I fixed dinner--chicken, rice, and corn--and shared a few beers. Mom had surgery today. It went well, she's recovering. When she woke up amidst mid-evening naps, we went to DQ and got ice cream. I got a small cone with sprinkles. It's my jam. 

Tuesday. I worked 5-1:00 with J.J., Carly, and others. Aunt Teri came in to get a few drinks for everyone at the house. After work I met up with Forrest, his fiance Susie, and Carly at China Cottage in Centerville. Forrest is totally whipped. Susie's a great girl, though. We talked about all the politics and drama at work. I've been noticing more of it as my time there continues (I'm about four months in now?). Much of the politics revolves around Jessica, a new hire, being made a shift ahead of people who were there longer. Come on, Guys, it's Starbucks. Chill out. Regarding Betsy, Forrest (her brother) said, "She over-reacts a lot, and it's easy to upset her." Mandy M. is still quite cold towards me, but I don't want her being warm towards me, so I'm okay with it. Carly's friend Allison was supposed to join us, but she had to work. I think Carly wants to set me and Allison up, because (1) she always talks her up to me, (2) emphasizes her singleness, and (3) told me that she wants to set us up. I headed back home to work on my car, fixing the tire and rims, and then I watched a Martial Arts movie and went to bed.

Wednesday. I worked 5:30-11:00 with Jessica, Forrest, and Tony. Mandy, her sister Onaleasha, and Jessie and Rae came up to visit me. We got salads at DLM and then went to Cox Arboretum, but it was effing hot so we returned to the house and hung out for a while. Rae was being quite touchy and flirtatious, even more-so than during our layover in Mahomet before heading to Chicago. Jessie was weird about it, understandably-so, since Rae and Jessie's brother broke up in late April. After they left I took a nap with Tanner and spent the evening watching TV. 

Thursday. I worked 5:30-2:00. Sabrina & Maria came over to visit Mom since she's all but recovered from her surgery last Monday. I had corn and rice mixed together for dinner. I went to the Richmond Starbucks in Indiana and visited Jess Lynn and wrote for a while, sipping on a pretty awful americano made by one of the baristas.

Friday. I worked 6:30-3:00, drank espresso and smoked cigarettes on my break. I did some writing after work, and then Tyler came over and we smoked cigars and drank beers, Scottish ales, and we watched a depressing WW2 movie: "The Boy in Striped Pajamas."

Saturday. I got up early and grabbed espresso from Starbucks and did some reading. It was cool out today, so I broke out my faded jeans and cowboy boots. Jessica C. said I looked like a cowboy. Sarah came up, and we got dinner at China Cottage and went to Starbucks where Betsy was quite cold towards me (I am sexist, after all), and Sarah & I spent the evening chatting on the front porch. She's still really depressed about Keith leaving her for another girl, and she has guys flocking to her, though they just want to mess around with her. I went to bed thinking not of Sarah but of Mandy K. I do miss her, she's such an awesome woman of God, the kind of woman I want to be with. But that chicken flew the coop ages ago.

Sunday. I dreamt of Mandy K. last night and tried, quite unsuccessfully, to call her this morning. She's difficult to get a hold of. I went to the Starbucks on Route 48 to do some journaling. Dewenter overslept so we didn't go to church. I ate a big breakfast and watched the movie "Inner Space" and spent the afternoon lying around. Mom fixed a roast for dinner and it was quite good. We played chess (I won) and drank tea. Dad and I watched TV and then we all went to bed.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...