Friday, August 27, 2010

on f.c.c.

Franklin Christian Church, the church I interviewed at many weeks ago, finally contacted me. I had thought they forgot about me, and then I learned through my doctor (who's a friend of mine and also the doctor of several of the church members) that the congregation is split down the middle. Basically half the congregation wants the other candidate, and the other half of the congregation--from what I could gather--doesn't. Note that they don't necessarily want me, they just don't want the other candidate. I expressed this to a friend and she said that maybe I didn't have confidence in myself. The opposite is true: when it comes to my abilities as a preacher, I am quite confident. I've had lots of practice and public speaking happens to be a gift of mine. I am just interpreting the facts--well, the rumors--in the simplest fashion. Nevertheless, since I am the only other candidate (insofar as I know), I've been asked to preach again. Perhaps just to bide time as the congregation sifts through their disagreements, or maybe because they want to "try me out" again to see if the congregation's vote can slide in another direction. I've no idea. Honestly, I'm not expecting to hear from them anytime soon after I preach. Things are moving slowly, which is more often a sign of indecisiveness and weakness over and against strength and resolve. If I do get this job, I'll certainly have to delete this post! I do want the job, though, I really do. It would be great experience, I'd be doing what I love, and it'd double my income--and right now that is exactly what I need.

My sermon is going to be on forgiveness. In lieu of this, and in lieu of all the studying I've been doing, I'm going to do another "series" of blog posts, this time on repentance. Starting tomorrow. Tonight I must write my sermon (which will include aspects of all the upcoming blog posts, but the blog posts, I hope, will go more in-depth). Anyways. That's what we call an update.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...