Friday, August 06, 2010

such is life

It's frustrating, it really is. Money sucks. I can barely pay my bills and don't make enough to get my own place and to thus support myself. It's humiliating, really. I've spent $80,000 on a degree and I can only get a barely above-minimum-pay job. I desperately want to get involved in ministry, and I have sent resumes and emails and packets to churches and organizations all over the United States. Generally-speaking, the churches want someone with more experience, or with a higher degree; and yet the salary is only $30-40,o00, so if I went ahead and got my Master's I'd be in even more debt with those jobs demanding a Master's. Other churches say that they want someone older--being 23 years old doesn't help--and churches where I've met with the congregation (such as F.C.C.) admit that they don't want someone who looks like they're 12 years old. Thanks to all sorts of stereotypes and genetics (both of which I can't control), it's borderline impossible to get a ministry job. Mom is all over me about getting a "real job", thinking that because I have a degree, I'll be able to do it. The problem is, the economy is in such a state that businesses aren't hiring, they're laying off. And for every job I apply for, there's at least ten others (at the least) applying, most of whom will have either degrees related to the field or experience in the field. Which means my resume gets slid off the desk and into the trashcan of whoever's doing the hiring. It's extremely frustrating and depressing, and it's hard to find hope of ever getting out of this house and actually making something of myself. I don't want to be in this position, but there's really nothing I can do about it. And all those things people say to do, I am doing--but without any effect other than to convince me that it's hopeless. *sigh* Such is life.

I'm going to go grill some chicken and make some rice and watch TV.
Maybe that'll make me feel better.

2 comments:

Dana Kline said...

Hey Anthony, it's Dana with Lampost Theatre & Coffee Co. in Cedar Falls, IA. I've been enjoying reading your posts! I appreciate your thoughts, insights, and ponderings. Hoping you're still planning sending us your application! The sooner the better on our end :)

darker than silence said...

It should be in the mail tomorrow, and I look forward to hearing from you!

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...