Wednesday, August 18, 2010

work has resumed

The working life is back in swing. I worked 5:30-11:30 this morning (a quick and easy 6-hour shift, just enough to get me back in the groove), and I work a variety of morning shifts over the next week and picked up a shift Sunday night. My week will be spent writing (see next paragraph) and working. I didn't gain much weight over vacation (surprisingly, since I didn't exercise nor eat right; a 2-pound gain isn't something to complain about), and that's nice, but now it's back to the regimen of eating right and exercising every day. Dinner tonight will be two eggs with a piece of toast.

Having finished the revision of my 2004 novel "36 Hours", I've decided to turn my attention to "Dwellers of the Night". It's the book I wrote from December 2007 to February of 2009. It's just under 800 pages. I haven't gotten any bad reviews from it; I've gotten lots of emails praising it, and any reviews online at various book review websites and the like give it, generally, 5 out of 5 stars (the lowest was 4 out of 5 stars). Obviously, this is exciting for me. The problem is, it hasn't spread as well as "36 Hours". The reason, I think, is the intensity of it: it's 800 pages long! On forums and such where the book is mentioned, most readers who have it on their to-read list state that it's a long book and thus they haven't gotten around to it. Also, its weight and page length make it an expensive purchase: generally around $25.00 (it varies for different versions). This is why I have decided to rewrite it as a serial novel: eight books, each around 100 pages long. Kinda like what Stephen King did with "The Green Mile." The books will be cheaper, shorter, and easier reads. I'm hoping this catches on.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...