Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1.25.11

Elle and I hung out for a bit yesterday, between her college classes. She was having a rough day, so I brought her her favorite Starbucks drink. We went back to my place and listened to good music and ate dinner and played on the Wii, and then I took her back too class. To be wholly honest, I am continuously surprised at how great things are going with her. I'm so used to either (a) getting kicked to the curb for no apparent reason or (b) being a skittish cat and running for the hills. But, for once, I'm happy and content. This girl is great, quite the catch. I like her a lot, and to top it off, she likes me a lot, too. We're (hopefully) hanging out Sunday: going to church, getting Greek food for lunch, having some desert, then playing Just Dance 2 on the Wii and watching "Shoot 'Em Up" with Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. 

Work today? Uneventful. Wade heard some nut-job on talk radio talking about how the Spirit told him the world would end on December 22, 2012. Just one day after the Mayan prediction. I wouldn't put too much stock in him: he said that all of us are God's beloved sons and that the Spirit is the space between the atoms and molecules that swirls all around us. So I guess a vacuum told him about the end of the world? Probably more like the drugs he's on. Regardless, all this fanatical hype about the end of the world, not least 2012... I could care less. First of all, this is nothing new: it seems every decade, a new "prophecy" is uncovered and scrutinized with religious analysis, and then--no surprise--nothing happens. Also, I'm a postmillennialist, so I don't buy into that paradigm of thought--be it Christian or secular--about the world coming to some cataclysmic, violent end. To each his own, I guess. Wade also heard the old story about King David and Joshua being homosexual lovers. He rightly stated that such a statement is a misinterpretation and corruption of a single verse, to which I added, "And on top of that, the evidence is quite weighty that David favored women."

J.J. asked me how the book was coming along. "Re:framing Repentance." I'm where I was about two months ago: two chapters left to go, no motivation to do it. Part of this lies with me being a fool and losing my entire outline for the next chapter, and currently I have no energy to undertake the painstaking and monotonous process of doing it all over again. Perhaps one of these days I'll get a "second wind" and finish the book. Today I've spent some considerable time writing, mostly on my little "layman's devotional" on 1 Peter. I'm not sure how layman-oriented it is. There are still big words which I need to weed out. But that comes later (if I ever finish it; I'm renown for not completing projects). Mom's chopping onions and I want to see what she's making, so bye.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...