Monday, January 10, 2011

the dayton days [49]

Jessica & I being badasses
Monday. Dylan & Tyler came over after work. We made chicken and potatoes for dinner, with beer, of course. I called things off with Leah. I really liked her (hell, I still do), but the risks because of work were too great. She confessed she understood, confessed she already had a boyfriend (WTF?), and she said, "For the record, I really liked you." I told her likewise. 

Tuesday. Correction: she doesn't have a boyfriend, just a guy she talks to but doesn't like. I had my Starbucks mentorship meeting with Wade till 1:30: strengths, weaknesses, areas of improvement, etc. All day I wondered if I'll regret cutting things off with Leah. I do miss her, and she misses me. I'm tempted to restart things, but (a) I'd look like a fool and (b) the risk of disaster remains present. Best to stick with my gut, despite the fact that she's a cute, godly, normal (read: not psychotic) girl. The DLM girl came through again and we talked. She's a Jehovah's Witnesses. No chance of that going anywhere: I try to avoid dating girls who're involved in cults.

Wednesday. The electricity at the house kept shorting out all day, so damned annoying. Mom had her bible study, the usual crew (Megan, Mariah, Katie, and Mariah #2) plus one: a chick named Sarah. 

Thursday. Carly and I had a joint PDP today. We went to Jessica's condo in Dayton with her best friend Allison and Kyle from work. We had two appetizers and dinner, polished off with two bottles of wine and a couple beers. We shared laughs and stories around the fire and Jessica & I smoked hookah and Carly & Allison smoked their pipes like English detectives. Jessica is a cute, fun, artsy, lively girl. Too bad (a) she's not attracted to me and (b) we were allowed to date if we could. She's a shift and I'm just a lowly barista.

Friday. At 4:00 I met up with Leah at Jack's before her closing shift. I drilled her with all sorts of questions. It was really great to see her. It's though: I genuinely like her and want to date her, but... something's missing, I don't know. Dewenter came over, and I told her about my dilemma, and he said there's no shame in feeling confused as you're getting to know someone. You don't understand them quite yet, so confusion shows that you're not making too many assumptions just to make the picture black-&-white. I accompanied him to Dayton where he picked up some barrels for beer brewing. We finished off the night with Mario-Kart and a funeral procession: Maebe died. She was told (for a hamster). Mom's taking it pretty hard. Pad D. left and I headed to the parking lot at Jack's and when she got off work she joined me. We laughed and hugged and the hug became a cuddle quite quickly and we both really liked it. I drove home on wintry roads. More snow's falling. I'm sick of it.

Saturday. I only slept five hours before my 5-9:30 shift. Dad took me to and from work because my car's alternator died in the subdivision on my way in. My haircut looks good. 2, maybe 3 girls flirted with me. Dad & I fixed the Celica when I got home from work, and then Mom joined us for dinner at Hot Head Burrito. F.C.C. called me: they want me to be their interim pastor while they continue their "Minister Search." I don't want the job, but an extra $100 a week? At work, Kyle's girlfriend broke up with him. Megan's pregnant and showing. Jess Lynn is the A.S.M. in Richmond. 

Sunday. Leah came over, and we made pancakes for lunch and watched No Country for Old Men. Mom made dinner for us. Dad was quite reserved; he always is, I don't know why. I think he thought Leah & I were "sexing it up" in my bedroom. We weren't, though we cuddled an awful lot. I promised I wouldn't kiss her and she laughed and then we both REALLY wanted to kiss but refused. "I've never had a guy reject a kiss!" she moaned. She really likes my self-control (weird, huh?), even when she wishes I didn't have it. No kissing on the lips, but lots of rhythm, pecks, and grazing. I helped her with her homework and she left. I like this girl, I really do. First time I've been able to say that about anyone in a solid year.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...