Saturday, January 08, 2011

a funeral procession

R.I.P. Maebe. December '09 - January '11


We didn't have her very long (only a few days past a year) but she was a good hamster. I figured she'd be dying soon. They only live to be around 1 1/2 to 2 years old, and she was full-grown when I bought her. Apparently no one had wanted her, but I gave her a home and much love. It was sad to see her in there with a bunch of baby hamsters, the only one full-grown. It was as if no one wanted to take her home. So I took her home and I got her a great cage and lots of treats and excellent bedding and several toys. And she would fall asleep in my hands and crawl through my shirt pockets and nibble on my finger every once in a while, and even when she bit me so hard it bled for two days straight I still thought she was the best hamster in the world. But she got pretty stiff last night, and that's cause she died, so Dewenter and I took her out back and dug a shallow grave in the cold earth and we buried her and then went inside to drink beer and play Mario-Kart. She will be missed.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...