Thursday, January 13, 2011

my week

It's been a pretty good week. Time for a re:cap. Monday: Mandy and Amanda came up from Cincinnati, and we went out to China Cottage for dinner. Dylan joined us, and Mandy snapped a pretty great picture of the two of us which is now on display in this post. "If that's not a movie poster," Dylan said, "I don't know what is." Tuesday: Dylan came over but Tyler bailed, and we went to Dorothy Lane Market for dinner. I had sushi and Dylan grabbed a burger, and we went back to my place and watched some television and then sat on the front porch smoking cigarettes watching the snow fall. We got around five inches. Wednesday: Dylan, Tyler, Dewenter and I went out for dinner--Double Days--and then perused Barnes & Noble. I used to buy books like a madman but have, thankfully, stopped. I own way too many books. Today: "Elle" and I went out for dinner--Max & Erma's--and then I did my PDP and smoked with Jessica on her ten-minute break. Tomorrow: Elle and I are hanging out again. I'm taking her out for dinner at -------- (unmentioned because in the off chance she reads this blog, I don't want the surprise to be spoiled), and then we're going back to my place to watch a movie of her choice. She said she's picking several romantic movies and then I'll get to choose my doom. I hope she goes easy on me.

Elle said, "You're definitely a romantic." To which I replied: "Yes. But I'm a stoic romantic." And what I mean is, I am one of those romantic kind of guys. I get it from my mom. Amanda takes more after my dad: less romantic, more... what's the word... I don't know. It's still early and I can't think. I like watching sunrises and sunsets, I like getting flowers (or chocolates) for my girl, I like cuddling by the fire, I like doing little things for her, little surprises spread out throughout the week. It's sappy, or at least it can be. But I'm stoic, too. Most romantics buy into this weird, culturally-saturated ideal about "the perfect soul mate" or shit like that. My naivety was destroyed too long ago for me to hold on to such grandiose notions. I know how relationships work. I know how bitter they can become. I know "what lies beneath." But I'm still optimistic, still hopeful, and that's the romantic rather than the stoic within me talking. I'm a man of walking contradictions and this is but one of them. Anyhow. I'm excited about seeing Elle tomorrow. That's the romantic speaking. I like her a lot.

1 comment:

Blake said...

I'm definitely a romantic also. We're very much alike, you and I.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...