Friday, January 28, 2011

more snow? no thanks

More snow came overnight. I'm so tired of it. Legitimately exhausted of the snow. My mind and heart ache for spring, for life to return, for the flowers to bloom and the songbirds to sing again. I don't know how much more of this I can handle. To the left is a picture of the snow lacing our giant snowball, made about a week or two ago. It'll probably be around till March. Dad says it may make it to next winter (joking, of course). Today has been spent in boredom. Watching episodes of Law & Order: S.V.U. A trip to the cafe to do some writing while drinking tea. A run to the bank and trying to figure out how to pay school loans following car maintenance (alternator went out, shocks need replaced, left door has decided not to lock shut). I took an accidental nap, dreamt of silence. How weird is that? My dream was that everything was silence, a roaring silence, and I couldn't get it to stop. And then the soundtrack to Boondock Saints started playing, one of my favorite songs from the movie--"Holy Fool"--and then I woke up with a headache. Freaking weird. It's only 5:30 and I don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe try and finish that chapter in "Dwellers of the Night: Book Two." 

Regarding that, this is something I don't understand. The entire novel is composed of a trilogy (Book One, Book Two, and Book Three). I've gotten great reviews and ratings for all of them on different sites, but books Two and Three seem to be the most favored, whereas Book One is the one I like the most. I think the reason is because in Book Two, more characters are brought forward, more story-lines converge, and the story becomes character-driven rather than plot-driven. There's almost no action scenes whatever in Book Two--minus the chapter I'm writing now--and so the thick of it lies with the characters. Action picks up in Book Three, which is nearly all action, but the characters and their stories are retained and continue to evolve. Maybe that's where the understanding of this phenomenon lies.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...