Monday, January 10, 2011

my week

It's hard to believe the weekend is over. Saturday the alternator in my car died; thankfully we were able to get it fixed pretty quickly (and at a reasonable price), though I had to be dropped off and picked up from work. I don't really like that; a hack at my independence and self-reliability. My family and I went out for dinner--Hot Head Burritos, similar to Chipotle, only with more choices--and I spent the evening reading and writing, reorganizing my room. Yesterday my new friend--we'll call her Elle--came to visit. I like her, she likes me, and though I previously "called things off," talking things over with Patrick made me realize that (a) I really do like her, and so (b) that was a stupid thing to do. Apparently (and I say this as if it a new revelation, though I've known this for a while) I am one of those types who self-sabotages relationships; I can trace this back to a plethora of events in my past, but discovering its origins doesn't help overcome its influence. So I bit my teeth and said "to hell with it" and started things up again. I'm happy and content and pressing forward. Elle and I made pancakes for lunch and watched "No Country For Old Men"--one of my favorites, directed by the Coen Brothers and written by Cormac McCarthy, my favorite author--and I helped her with her homework and we told stories and laughed and flirted. 

I am waiting for Amanda and Mandy to get here, and we're going to grab dinner at China Cottage and then hang out at the house with Dylan, who's showing up later in the evening. I work mornings the rest of the week--with the exception of Friday and Sunday, which I have off--and I hope to see Elle some more, and I may be getting drinks with some friends one night and China Cottage (again) another night. I also hope to do more editing/revising for "Dwellers of the Night": Book One's current rough draft is at 250 pages, but I need to add a few more things and cut some things, really fine-tune it to the point where I can say, "Okay, let's move on to Book Two." Now I must go and find something to watch on television.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

I feel ya dog.

Blake said...

I hear you guys had an amazing time. Sorry that I missed out. I miss you Anth.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...