Saturday, January 08, 2011

dinner with classy gents

Last night a bunch of us from work went to Jessica's condominium to hang out and feast. I ran by Dorothy Lane beforehand and grabbed some appetizers: homemade mozzarella balls with olive oil, to spread on wheat crackers (Jessica provided the most amazing hummus I've ever had). Car-pooling with Allison and Carly, we got to her condo around 6:30 and I promptly went to work fixing dinner: grilled chicken, sauteed asparagus, baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese. Because I didn't prepare beforehand for so many people, much of the food--namely the asparagus and chicken--was cold by the time dinner came around. Oh well. I'm no chef, just someone who likes to cook. Kyle joined us, and throughout the night we polished off an entire bottle of delicious wine and a half bottle of another; I drank all mine when cooking and got a pretty nice buzz. Afterwards we sat around the fireplace and shared laughs and told stories and some of us broke out pipes and others broke out the hookah. It was indeed a good time with good friends; I'm thankful that I work where I can make friends and spend time with them outside work without talking about work the whole time. I'm glad we didn't talk about work much at all, except cracking jokes about everyone's mess-ups and failures. All in all a good night.

Patrick came over today, and we went to Dayton and picked up some stainless steel beer kegs he's using to make a gravity station for brewing his own beer. He made a Christmas blend, an I.P.A., which I have yet to try. We spent the evening playing Mario-Kart and watching ridiculous documentaries on netflix: "Terror Bird" and "Killer Pig," about prehistoric Ice Age-esque animals. Quite hilarious, especially since National Geographic tried to make it out as a serious exploration. Awful C.G.I. destroyed their attempts. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...