Monday, January 11, 2010

A Dream For Us, Revisions

I have been toying around with "A Dream For Us", and I think I'm going to take it in a direction I haven't yet considered. This requires reworking the 37 pages I've written so far, in particular doing something different with the journal entries--either making them dialogues with minor characters, which would open a whole new host of narrative possibilities, or re:framing the entire narrative construct in such a way that it all reads like some sort of journal entry--or, rather, a first-person memoir, which shows the steady progression of the main character's perception of reality regarding the nature of relationships, friendships, love, romance, and life and, yes, death. If I go this route, I will be incorporating all sorts of philosophical concepts as fate and destiny and the interplay between them. Of course, I would rather not make it about fate/destiny, because another book I'm working on--"the toothless kiss of skeletons"--has such meditations as the background of the story. Maybe I'll just scratch the whole fate/destiny thing and instead focus on the nature of relationships, the gritty truth of how they work and what they take, focusing upon the futility of romance. Hmmm... I am obviously hashing out my thoughts in a blog post.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...