Sunday, January 03, 2010

new year's resolutions

A lot of people are anti-New Year's Resolutions. My friend Mike said, "I'm pro New Year's Resolutions. What's wrong with being resolved to make a change in a new year? Oh, you fail sometimes? Duh. We always fail to some degree. Big deal. I'm convinced that people who give folks a hard time for making New Year's resolutions are just proud people that hate the fact they fail to live up to their own expectations." I only have a few "resolutions," and here they are.

First, continue losing weight. I want to get down to 140 pounds; I'm thirty pounds away from that now, having already lost twenty-five since October. I'll continue losing weight the same way I lost it in 2010: eating right and exercising.

Second, quit smoking. I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be, but I'd like to never buy a pack again. I have done lots of research on successful ways to quit, and I've come up with a plan. Now it's time to put it into action.

Third, write another masterpiece. My masterpiece of 2009 (which I actually began in 2007) was "Dwellers of the Night." I'm toying with a story idea involving a global modern outbreak of bubonic plague, in which the overarching "theme" is the lie of fate and the reality of how the world works (from what could be considered an open theistic position; but this is not my own personal position; to know what I believe, look back at my post on November 21).

Fourth, though I have graduated and will not be returning to school this semester (after a conversation with a favorite professor, I determined it to be wise to figure out exactly what I want to do before continuing to lock myself in one career path), I want to continue my study of the scriptures. I am currently going through Romans, my favorite letter of Paul, and really trying to figure out what it is saying.

Fifth, I want to figure out what I want to do with my life. Right now I am poised between a life of vocational ministry--i.e. a pastoral route behind the pulpit--and doing work in the realm of social work, a life of ministry focused on bettering peoples' current conditions. I'm leaning towards the latter, and have been researching different routes to accomplish that (i.e. getting my Social Work certificate).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...