Friday, January 08, 2010

the white death, part II

The White Death did reign havoc, actually. Before the snow had even accumulated an inch, the roads were awful, thanks to poor Cincinnati public planning. Thinking the roads would be decent, I made a trek to Subway for lunch (I received a gift card for Christmas), and my brakes failed down the first hill, and every time after that when I slowed down, my car would slide to the right. Thankfully I made it home safe, and I spent the afternoon indoors next to the heater watching Discovery Channel. Sarah got off work at 3:00; on her way home, she passed many wrecks. A semi had nearly plummeted off a bridge and into the icy river. Today the snow continues to fall, but the plow and ice trucks are everywhere, making my Friday morning commute to the bank quite easy. Here is a picture taken from the front porch after about one inch accumulated (the records say we got anywhere from three to five inches, depending on the location):

The job search continues. I received four or five phone calls yesterday from business claiming to be legit, but after doing some research, I found out they were scams. I was pretty pissed. I've continued applying to legit jobs, and we'll see what happens. Tomorrow I work a shift at the Hilltop (Karen, my boss, needed someone to cover it, and I told her I would despite not being an "official" employee anymore), and on Sunday I am preaching up in Dayton. It pays $200, so I'm quite excited about that: it'll cover my rent for the month, now I just need to find a way to cover utilities.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...