Tuesday, April 06, 2010

another night, another rant

Dewenter, Tyler and I went to a bar in Centerville tonight. We each had a beer and sat at the bar counter and talked about the shapes our lives are taking. The last four years of our lives have been extremely formative, helping to form us into the people we are: more realistic, more optimistic, more pessimistic. We're more responsible and more patient and have a better grip on the way things work. We talked primarily about how much we've grown into responsible adults.

Dewenter talked about people he sees on the weekends at bars, getting absolutely trashed and hooking up with people and making fools of themselves. These people are in their late twenties and early thirties. Some are even in their forties. And you know what? It's pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. Some people never grow up. Some people never become responsible, never take ownership of their actions, never get past the point of living for their own immediate gratifications. I'm sure a lot plays into why these people do what they do. But in the end, they've become content to live empty and pointless lives. It's saddening and maddening, all at the same time. I used to feel much more compassion. Now I feel a twinge of disgust in my gut at such lifestyles. Almost a nauseating repulsion.

This past summer I went to a bar in Newport, right across the river from Cincinnati. My girlfriend of the time and I decided to go to meet some of her friends. They were drunk off their asses and it was absolutely repelling. I ended up leaving and went outside and stood by myself looking out at the river reflecting Cincinnati's lights. I've always been somewhat sickened by such lifestyles, but as I continue to grow and develop, I become even more sickened by it. I see it for what it is: people aren't just wanting to "escape the realities of Monday-Friday." They're indulging their most primal passions with no restraint. They're clutching at anything to make them feel good without considering the consequences. The result is torn families, bastard children, and ruined lives. And yet these people continue to do it. Ugh.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...