Wednesday, April 14, 2010

quote fail

An old saying goes, "You can't change who a person is without destroying who they were." I've heard this quote used before. I won't get into all the details, but I knew someone who lived a pretty pathetic life: drug use, drunkenness, whoring around. I often chastised her for these things, and she would always tell me, "Remember: you can't change who a person is without destroying who they were."

My response? "That's the f*cking point!"

One of the biggest lies I hear is the idea that people need to accept you for who you are. Most people who say that aren't saying, "Love me for who I am," but, "Accept every bad habit and fault that I have." And whenever you question such habits or try to correct such faults--and by correct I mean prodding them in the direction of, you know, a more responsible, adult, mature life--they say that you are being unfair and mean. Basically I've found that people hate to see themselves for who they really are, and they'd really like to believe the lie that everything is fine when, more often than not, the exact opposite is quite true.

Grow up, People.
See yourself for who you really are.
Become the person you're meant to be.
Stop being pathetic, immature, and irresponsible.
GROW UP.

And no, I'm not being "bitchy:" I'm not saying this to any specific person, I'm not saying this because someone pissed me off and I'm finding comfort in the thought that they're 1. pathetic, 2. immature, and 3. irresponsible (although many people are 4. all of the above). I am simply sick of seeing people wasting their lives away and not taking responsibility for themselves. It's a lesson I've learned the hard way, and perhaps I'm just being ridiculously judgmental, but "it is what it is."

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...