Monday, March 22, 2010

the dayton days (VII)

Mandy chowin down on Shepherd Pie
Monday. I spent the afternoon writing at Spring Valley, and then I headed back down to Cincinnati to gather the rest of my things (minus some furniture; we'll get it when Ams & Sarah move out). I took Dad's van so I could stuff it full of boxes. I ended up getting rid of a lot. "Spring Cleaning." Mandy spent the day with me. Sarah came home for a bit. She and Mandy are one somewhat good terms. I saw a letter she wrote to Keith on Jan 18. She told him, "I love you and want to be with you."My heart turned sour, not because she obviously lied to me about her and Keith multiple times, but because I wanted her to be writing those words to me. 

Tuesday. Grandpa & Grandma B. took me out to lunch around noon. Olive Garden. Sarah kept calling me from work, having the shittiest day, it hurt my heart. I did my best to talk her through it. I went to the Centerville Starbucks and drank two cups of French-pressed coffee while working on 36H2. Mom had her high school girls' group, and I ate a granola bar for dinner.

Saint Patrick's Day. I ran a 1/2 mile before lunch and "celebrated" the holiday with dinner at China Cottage with Hank & Ashlie followed by coffee with Dylan. Tomorrow I'm going to a party at Mandy's, and Friday Sarah and I are supposed to hang out.

Thursday. I woke at 8:44 AM exactly. I did a detail clean of the Prizm and headed down to Cincinnati. I tried on my old clothes from Summer 2006 and they fit! And they look good. I'm pretty pumped. When Sarah got home from dinner with Lindsey, I went with her to Kroger and wore my old clothes. "Oh my God!" she exclaimed. "You're so skinny!" I went to Rob & Mandy's St. Patty's Day party. Mandy and Jessie were shocked at how skinny I looked. "When you're wearing sweatshirts and hoodies, it doesn't show how skinny you are!" Tony, Mandy and I took bourbon shots. Mandy made Shepherd's Pie. Sa-Rah, Amos, and Nate were there, too. Ams & Sarah came by for a bit. Before going back to Dayton, I went back to the Lehman House, and Sarah and I smoked and told stories and shared laghter. We're spending tomorrow evening together, and in the morning I have an interview with Spring Valley Starbucks, my own third place, where Abby works. Wish me luck!

Friday. My interview went well. The store manager, Faith, offered me the job. Full time. She said I was her first choice from the get-go. "I just wanted to make sure you weren't weird," she said. I just laughed. Soon she'll know why. I visited I.G.A. and picked up some boxes, visited Vicki whom I worked with way back in the day, and then I headed down to the Lehman House to pick up a few things I'd left. Jessie came over, and I took shots and we fixed penne pasta for dinner. She left, and Sarah & I made a silly video and watched a good, albeit weird, movie: The 4th Kind. I was home by midnight. I still like her and dream about her a lot. But it will pass, hopefully via another girl and not through more heartbreak. But if history's cyclical, then it'll probably be the latter.

Saturday. I made a French-press and spent the morning researching cheap apartments. Fantasy, of course: even full-time at Spring Valley, I won't have enough to actually get a place. But living with my parents could end up being a sweet gig. Dad & I headed up to Grandpa & Grandma B's in New Carlisle. I played with Cate, Joel and Megan's little girl, and yearned to be a father. And this is odd: I didn't think about having a child with Sarah; no, I thought of Mandy K. Beautiful, godly, genuine, funny, sarcastic, passionate. Man. I haven't thought about her in a LONG time. I really did like her, and I know we would've gotten along great had we dated. Maybe we even would've gotten married? And I slap myself, because in Fall 2007 she wanted to be with me, but I was so downtrodden over losing Courtney that I failed to see this girl 10x better than her. Mandy K. was always wanting to spend time with me, but I just blew her off all the time. I spoiled what could've been FANTASTIC by getting wrapped up in things with Karen. A year ago today, actually, I was head-over-heels for her, and a year ago today I spent all my time with her. But like all my romantic dreams, my dream of romance with Mandy K. never came to fruition. Jess Lynn told me today, "Maybe you will meet someone soon." God, I hope so! And yes, that's a prayer.


Sunday. I ran a 1/2 mile right when I woke up. At church I met Tony, the new youth minister. He's pretty cool. I called Mandy K. this afternoon. She's in South Carolina with her best friend. We talked and it was nice to hear her voice, took me back to simpler times. Dylan and Tyler came over, and we played Mario-Kart and when Ams got here to do laundry, we went thrift-shopping. I got some sweet pants, sandals, and some shirts. We went to Benham's Grove for a while and then to a playground at Stubb's Park. Dewenter came over for a bit. I got really depressed come nightfall, and I went on a lone and rainy drive and just bathed in the disappointment after disappointment characterizing my life. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...