Wednesday, March 31, 2010

macchiatos and man-boobs

I worked my first solo shift this morning. We had a pretty hard rush around 7:30, 8:00. Logan told me it's one of the worst rushes he's seen. We had people stretching all the way back to the door and the drive-thru was stretching around the side of the building. I tried my best to keep up, and thought I was failing, but Bethany told me, "You're doing great, keeping the waiting time under three minutes like you're supposed to!" So I guess I did decent. I'll definitely get better as time goes on. I'm not used to their pace nor their system. At the Hilltop we focused on quality, not quantity, but at Starbucks the focus is equally on quality and quantity. I'm not dissing their quality at all, I'm just saying that the Hilltop had time to focus on quality. With the surge of customers constantly coming into the store or going through the drive-thru, paying the minutest attention to every detail is too time-consuming.

I went down to Cincinnati this evening to pick up a twin-sized mattress. Family are coming in for a few days, and so they'll take my bed, per usual, and I don't want to sleep on the air mattress because by morning it's sunk all the way to the ground and I walk half hunched-over due to back pain. The two-hour drive there and back is well worth it. On the way I stopped at Taza Mia, another coffee shop, and Rob hooked me up with a coffee, and I sat down with Isaac (who's in from Vegas) and Rob's wife Mandy. We shared lots of laughs and then I drove down into Cincinnati and hooked up with Jessie. We sat and talked about all sorts of things, and Mykaela joined us, and that was fun. "Please let me know next time you come down so we can hang out!" she exclaimed. I went back to the Lehman House and waited till about 8:00 to avoid rush-hour traffic. Sarah came home as I was leaving, and we talked for a bit. Now I'm considering going to bed, because I am downright exhausted and am getting up at 5:00 tomorrow morning for another morning shift. I have Friday off, which will doubtless be spent with the family and working on my friend's research paper. Saturday I work through the big party, and I have Sunday off.

Oh: Jessie commented on how skinny I look, and she added, "But you need to do something about those man-boobs." Haha. A classic quote. But she's right. In lots of men, fat tends to build up around the nipples, forming what are called "man-boobs." And I have man-boobs. Everyone talks about having special remedies to get rid of them, but those guys are shams. The only way is by losing weight. When you lose weight, your body sheds fat from all over--not just one place. You can't target the legs, or stomach, or chest specifically. The only way to get rid of these man-boobs is by losing weight. And since that's what I'm doing--weigh-in at 154 this morning, only 9 pounds from my goal--I'm not worried about it. Besides, several customers--all girls--have flirted with me. One even exclaimed, "You're cute!" But since she was in high school, I just turned and walked away. Most people I work with thought I was about a sophomore in high school until I informed them I graduated college in December. Sometimes it sucks looking young.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...