Friday, March 19, 2010

goodbye Charlene


I'm sitting in the dining room at the Lehman House (a.k.a. "Charlene"). The living room is filled with boxes and soon I will begin the process of moving out all my stuff, except for the large furniture, which we're grabbing at the end of next month. The Lehman House has always treated us well, and I've forged so many great memories here. But all good things come to an end, and all good things are even tainted by not-so-good things. It was in this house that I experienced one of the worst nights of my life (a night that often replays itself in my mind again-and-again, especially at the late hours of night when I dream of it and wake up shaking and sweating). But overall I'm glad to be moving out. I anticipate getting my own place, and I'm in the process of really getting my life together. I've begun nixing bad habits, and I've been replacing them with good habits. I've been focusing on the important things in life, and I am finding more joy and peace. I'm 23 and it's time for me to stop being a boy and to stop being a man. Not quite there yet, but close. Ha. Next step? GET A JOB.

Amanda just walked in. I overheard her talking to one of her friends, and she said, "I know people who go to bars and stuff but only have like one drink, and I don't know why people go to bars and get totally trashed, I mean don't you have anything better to do?" Ha. I agree with her. I have frequented the bar scene (without getting drunk), and it's pathetic to see people stumbling over themselves and hooking up with random strangers. I remember one time I went to a club with some friends, and we were having fun just making fools of ourselves dancing to the music, and this guy--absolutely DRUNK off his ass--came up and grabbed my friend Caitlin and screamed in her ear (and I quote), "I want to FUCK you!" She was repulsed, obviously, and we left, and mocked the drunken fool all the way back home.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...